Following on from the sandbag floor press on it’s own will build strength in the chest, arms and shoulders. Incorporating the hip bridge will make for a total body exercise.
The gains from the hip bridge component are brilliant. The hip bridge is a great exercise to activate and strengthen the gluteus muscles while also decreasing tightness in the hip flexors.
Start sitting close to bag then drag bag onto thighs close to knees:
- Rolling back into supine position simultaneously lift knees to push bag onto palm of hands into position
- Adjust load to balance, and position heals of feet close to buttocks
- Inhale and press bag up, exhale at top of movement
- Push through the heels of the feet to activate gluteus and bridge upwards to full hip extension
- Return hips to the ground and then lower bag back to chest.
- Pressing with palms or on fists provides greater length of tension
- When performing the hip bridge, imagine your vertebrae peeling up off the floor like a banana peel, and return back to the floor rolling your vertebrae down until getting to the coccyx
- After completing reps, rolling the bag out is a safe and alternative way to remove bag from chest