The Turkish Get Up (TGU) has profound benefits and the more it is researched the longer the list grows. Most commonly used by kettlebells to perform the exercise; the implement can be swapped with a sandbag.
The sandbag can be used in 2 different ways, one being draped over the shoulder where a load capacity is much higher and the other is being in the traditional straight arm lockout position in which requires superior shoulder stability particularly when using a sandbag. For the advanced version of sandbag Turkish get-up. Visit Here
Some of many of the benefits to the TGU include:
- Upper and lower body stability
- Stimulates all systems that relate to balance
- Superior shoulder stability
- Develops proprioception and spatial awareness
- Builds strength in trunk, hips and legs
Starting in supine position and holding the bag with single arm pressing the bag using the middle handle.
- Right arm pressed = right leg flexed with sole of foot on ground near buttocks
- Left leg out 45 degrees
- Left arm out 45 degrees, palm face down
- Roll onto forearm
- Come up onto palm – adjust hand position closer to hip
- Bridge up
- Sweep leg back – knee position between planted hand and foot
- Move upright – then adjust back leg
- Lunge up to standing.
- Repeat steps backwards to return to floor.
- Keep sole of foot planted firmly on ground and watch for knee of same leg not to move inwards